15 Day Book Blogger Challenge:
Day 2: Bed Time Reading Ritual
The 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge is hosted by April over at Good Books and Good Wine, check it out!
I had insomnia frequently throughout my life including taking an hour or more to fall asleep because of racing thoughts. This caused me to make reading an integral part of my sleeping habits since it calmed me down the best. I always have to have fiction of some kind to read before bed and here is how the schedule usually goes:
- Hour or so before the time I should sleep, I turn off screens and start reading (any excuse to read right :D)
- Half hour before should be sleeping time, I brush my teeth etc and get into bed still with a book.
- I read for however long it takes for me to get sleepy, though these days that is closer to 15 mins than the hour it used to be. There is something to be said for a busy life!
- If the book has a scary part, or even just a vaguely disturbing part, I have to read past it. I need to end my nightly reading on as high of a note as the book can offer so I don’t get scared ;-).
- I sometimes will stop in the middle of a chapter or page because my eyelids get so heavy that I can’t focus the words!
Because of this association between books and sleeping, I sometimes find myself falling asleep while reading even in the middle of the day, oops. I also generally don’t like reading during the day on workdays and in the morning on weekends (unless I’m working out!) since I associate reading with cozy nighttime and winding down. I worry that I would get completely out of whack if I read in the morning, haha.
So that’s my story, and a strangely personal aspect of my reading. Omg, it’s like I’m a real person >.>. Can you read during the day? Do you use books to wind down at night too or are they not as calming to you? Link me up if you are doing the challenges too :D
© 2013, Anya. All rights reserved.