Welcome to week 4 of the Eye of the World read along awesome people! This week goes through Chapter 27 so there will be spoilers for those who haven’t read that far. As usual, if the linky isn’t working when you stop by (because it likes to torture me like a Trolloc!) then just throw your link in a comment and we’ll do this the old fashion way ;-).
1. Moraine and Lan were discussing how the Trollocs could be amassing such large numbers and other strange occurrences such as the Forsaken and possible opposition from the White Tower early in this section. What do you think about all of these revelations?
It seems like magic that hasn’t been around for a while might be coming back, since otherwise how could the Trollocs have been transported? As far as the opposition from the White Tower, is worries me that Moraine may be alone in her firm opposition to the Dark One, or maybe just in her belief that the boys are connected? Though it seems that our magic guides are always standing alone doesn’t it? ;-)
2. Turns out a side effect of using magic is taking foolish chances and acting giddy, sound like any boys we know? What do you think is happening to Rand? Mat?
It seems like Rand must have been suffering a side effect of using magic, but I just can’t think of what he used the magic for…. Since it would have had to happen a while before the incident with the Whitecloaks and have been something he desperately needed and “magically” got to happen…. That doesn’t bode well for when Moraine figures it out though. Mat, however, may not have that excuse, since he could just have been being giddy and foolish as he normally is. And now we know that this dagger he stole may be affecting him…. Oh Mat :(.
3. Egwene and Perrin end up wandering very far afield, why do you think the land is so thoroughly abandoned? Not just of people, but also of animals, if we assume that Perrin isn’t that horrible of a tracker ;-)?
I’m not quite sure, but did they venture into land that was closer to where the Trollocs had been troubling? Maybe the people moved away because they couldn’t deal with all the violence any more, but that doesn’t explain why they couldn’t seem to find any animals at all. There definitely seems to be some deathly influence scaring things away, though I’m not sure why Elyas didn’t mention it, or didn’t have trouble finding game. Maybe Perrin is just a horrible tracker, ha!
4. Elyas and his wolves! What do you think of this new type of magic and Perrin’s new skills? How about what Elyas said about “Old things coming again” and the Aes Sedai not being happy about it?
Generally I don’t approve of there being too many types of magic in one world because it gets confusing, unrealistic and convenient. However, I like the explanation that there was an older magic there before the Aes Sedai came and that the wolves have been separate from the humans for a long time, and for some reason the wolf magic has come back. I’m not sure how Perrin’s skills are going to integrate into the plot as a whole, though, since it seems like that won’t allow him to be a part of some crazy Aes Sedai magic plot. I love the “Old things coming again” line, since it starts to explain why the Trollocs invaded when they did and why everything is happening now for the boys. Something major is coming and has been building for a while, and by something, it seems to be something that has to do with the very magic of the world.
5. Rand had another dream, but we can’t be sure if the other boys did or not…. In it there was mention of the Eye of the World serving him, what do you think the Eye of the World is? Any other ideas for what this dream meant?
The Eye of the World might be some sort of magic device? It seems likely at least, though it must be semi-sentient or have some programming on it that enables it to choose who it will serve and who isn’t worthy ;-). From what we read of the other boys, it sounds like their dreams have been fine, at least Perrin mentioned that he didn’t have any of those nightmares. Maybe it was proximity to Rand that was causing them? At the end of the dream, it seemed to Rand that his face became the Dark One’s, which makes me worry that the Dark One is trying to possess him or something similar…. Just tell Moraine!!!
6. Domon told many tales about fantastic sights across the land, which was your favorite? :D
The crystal lattice covering the island that hums when the moon is up! I would totally go study that and try to figure out if it was alive or not >.> but I’m not a nerd or anything haha.
7. The Tinkers’ had an interesting and scary tale to tell. What do you think about this new omen about the Dark One? Why do you think the Tinkers’ thought Elyas would know more?
I think it’s safe to say that Elyas doesn’t want to reveal his past yet, but it will be important to Perrin and Egwene’s journey in the next couple sections. Perhaps he fought against the Trollocs himself at one point? The tale is further confirmation that the Dark One is stirring and up to no good, and Perrin and Egwene need to find Moraine to tell her this even more now.
Your turn! What did you think of this section? We learned a lot more about the world that the boys and Egwene have been thrown into and what a world it is! I just hope Thom is okay… he wouldn’t really have been killed already would he?? But no spoilers if you’ve read ahead! ;-)
© 2013, Anya. All rights reserved.