Where To Find: Dragons!
Hello everyone! So I’m sure many of you have guessed that I love dragons :D. It might not surprise you then that I’m more likely to read a book if it has dragons in it, and I bet that there are fantastic beasts that you are similarly smitten with ;-). With that idea in mind, I decided to start a new series of sporadic posts, with the name lovingly
stolen borrowed from Harry Potter of course. I’ll focus on an awesome fantastical beast per post and list some of the books I know of that have a version of that critter as a fairly central element. Of course the matching might not be perfect since the best authors put their own spins on classic ideas, and some of the later posts might be more of a stretch depending on what I can find ;-). But I’ll do my best and more importantly, I would love suggestions :D.
- Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey – To start off, I have to go with the classic dragonlover’s book series, The Dragonriders of Pern. There are a lot of these books, so you won’t run out for a while! On Pern, a deadly Thread falls from the sky regularly, and so the telepathic dragons are needed to burn it before it destroys crops and people. There are lots of dragons in this series to fall in love with and humans as well, haha!
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini – Next we of course will go with one of the main books people think of when they think of dragons. Saphira and friends are major players in the adventures. Dragons can communicate telepathically with their chosen riders, and while there are only a couple left, Eragon being a dragonrider makes this a big dragon book :D.
- Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner – This one is less well-known, but also a classic bard tale of adventure. In this one, Lanen has seen “dragons” before, but they are mindless beasts roaming the northern forests. She dreams of True Dragons, that can speak and think. To find them, she goes on a dangerous journey and gets way more than she bargained for, but just what she dreamed of!
- Heart of the Dragon’s Realm by Karalynn Lee – I just recently read this one and loved it! There aren’t as many dragons as I’d hoped, but they do show up at the end, and it’s totally worth the wait :D. I’m also hoping that Lee writes a sequel that will have more dragons in it.
- Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman – This one is based in the Dungeons and Dragons world, and so dragons can transform into humanoid shapes and are good or evil depending on their color. The dragons don’t show up until later in the trilogy, but they play a major role and are some awesome characters :D. Plus, it’s a freaking awesome trilogy ;-).
- Tournament of Chance by S. G. Rogers – This is another tour book that I read really recently, and while I was a little disappointed with the lack of description of the dragonform that the wizards used, there were still lots of dragons :D. In Tournament of Chance, a family of wizards transforms into dragons on a regular basis. Then there are also wild dragons, some of which are nice and adorable and some of which are mean ;-).
- A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin – So I’ve only read the first book and a half of A Song of Ice and Fire, and so the dragons are still itty bitty, but totally awesome! I’m so excited to keep reading this series and find out all about the dragons and their queen ;-). Oh and all that other human stuff that is going on, haha.
All right, that’s all I’ve got for now, though there are a lot more on my shelf waiting to be read…. What dragon-y books do you know of? I always want to add more to my TBR :D. Also what is your favorite fantastic beast that you want to know where to find? ;-)
Remember to subscribe for weekly reviews of awesome books!
© 2012, Anya. All rights reserved.