Fridays with the Wizards by Jessica Day George is the fourth book in the Castle Glower series, about a royal family and their sentient castle that expresses its opinion about someone by how nice their room is and where it is located! I’m a long-time fan of this series and am so happy that in this book we get back to adventuring within the castle and learning about both it and where it came from. If you enjoy smart young heroines, griffins, and a whole lot of fun, don’t miss this series.
Note: I received an advanced copy of Fridays with the Wizards from the publisher. Some things may have changed in the final version.
Fridays with the Wizards by Jessica Day George (Castle Glower #4)
Published by Bloomsbury on Feb. 9th, 2016
Genres: Fantasy, MG
Page Length: 240 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Barnes & Noble - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Celie and her friends and family are back in the Castle, safe and sound. But there's still the problem of Wizard Arkwright. What do you do with an evil wizard?
Especially when he escapes from his cell, but doesn't leave the Castle!
Now it's up to Celie, with the help of her wizard brother Bran and her griffins, to track down Arkwright and get rid of him for good!
- Previously, Celie has been spending a fair amount of time away from home, so it was fun to get back to the roots of this series with the whole royal family working together to figure out the castle’s secrets at home. It’s nice seeing the parents and older siblings help out after all ;-).
- What’s better than griffins? BABY GRIFFINS!!! There are eggs wiggling and cracking all over the place and lots of new griffins to bond with the people of their choosing; I just about fell off the couch squeeing from the cuteness.
- I was rather surprised to encounter a wonderful feminist discussion! Celie learns that in order to study magic, you have to go to the magic school, but if you are a wife and mother, that would mean leaving your family for years, hence the opportunity to practice magic is denied many adult women. Huh, imagine that!
- As you could guess from the title, wizards are a central element of this story and that means we get to see a lot more of their kind of magic this time around! It’s just a glimpse, but I’m now quite fascinated with the combination of engineering, chemistry, and good ol’ fashion chanting that can be combined in this world.
- Celie seemed oddly whiney in this story. Maybe she’s hitting that prepubescent phase? But I was kind of surprised at how often she was internally and externally complaining about things that really didn’t seem like that big of a deal.
- As with many middle grade, the whole premise that kicks of the plot seemed a bit strangely convenient, especially in hindsight after getting the big reveal at the end of the story. I feel like things shouldn’t have shook out the way they did, ya know?
Fridays with the Wizards is another charming addition to the Castle Glower series, featuring our favorite sentient castle and griffins! This series has so much going for it already, and now I can add baby griffins and feminism to the list. I’m looking forward to more (hopefully? please???).
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Fridays with the Wizards by Jessica Day George
© 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.