Half Wild by Sally Green is the sequel to dark fantasy Half Bad and continues Nathan’s rather dismissal adventures in trying to stay alive and maybe fight against the White Witches of England ;-). Fortunately, he has pretty awesome friend(s) to help him out and Half Wild actually has some big developments in terms of epic rebellions actually getting going! Unfortunately, a lot of other bad things happen to Nathan D: *hugs*. If you haven’t read book one, there will be spoilers below for it, so check out my mini-review of Half Bad instead :D.
Note: I received an audiobook copy of Half Wild from the publisher. Listening to a book significantly alters my experience with it.
Half Wild by Sally Green
Narrated by Carl Prekopp
(The Half Bad Trilogy #2)
Published by Viking Penguin on March 24th, 2015
Genres: Dark Fantasy, YA
Page Length: 400 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
"You will have a powerful Gift, but it’s how you use it that will show you to be good or bad."
In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, seventeen-year-old Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most powerful and violent witch. Nathan is hunted from all sides: nowhere is safe and no one can be trusted. Now, Nathan has come into his own unique magical Gift, and he's on the run--but the Hunters are close behind, and they will stop at nothing until they have captured Nathan and destroyed his father.
- The previous book, Half Bad, was mostly about Nathan and his development as a witch. Half Wild, however, goes bigger by focusing a lot on the world of witches and what is going on with them. I really liked the developments with the witch world though they weren’t always pleasant for those involved, but it really feels like epic things are HAPPENING and will continue to happen. This makes me pumped for the next book too :D.
- GABRIEL!!!!! Seriously, Gabriel needs his own spin-off series, it would be epic. Gabriel is the awesome and devoted friend that Nathan has always needed and he also happens to be gay and a wonderful character all on his own. He is the best kind of black witch as far as I’m concerned and he breaks my heart with his loyalty. There might also be some possible romance brewing that has me on pins and needles!
- Markus was very much in the background in Half Bad, but he is around for a shocking amount of Half Wild. Therefore, we get to see a lot of growth between Nathan and Markus and find out who Markus really is. I liked finding out that he is (shocker) more than what the rumors make him out to be and actually really wants to be a good father to Nathan.
- All the plot twists!!! Half Wild takes a while to start, but once things get going, the action doesn’t stop and the plot is completely unpredictable. My eyes were seriously bugging out (dangerous while driving!). I can’t wait to see the repercussions in the next book.
- I really like the narration of Half Wild and on top of that, there are cool sound effects! At first I thought my audio was screwed up, but no! Nathan hears buzzing when mobile phones are nearby and you get to experience that with him on the audio :D. He also experiences things differently when his power is active and that audio was different for the listener too. I really liked the extra mile they went for the production of Half Wild and think that it argues strongly for trying out the audiobook!
- I won’t lie to you, Half Wild has a really slow start. It took me a while to listen to it all because I had to keep switching to music while driving because I was getting sleepy. However, once it gets past this (and you know when it happens), things pick up a lot.
- Nathan is in a bit of a non-traditional love triangle and this brings along a bit of relationship angst. I didn’t mind it too much, except I want him to just make the right decision and move on >.>.
Half Wild is a great followup to Half Bad once you get passed a slow start. The audiobook adds a lot to the telling of the story, so I definitely recommend it if you like audiobooks at all. Please now fangirl over Gabriel with me :D.
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Half Wild by Sally Green
© 2015, Anya. All rights reserved.