Heartless by Marissa Meyer explores the story of the Queen of Hearts before she gained her throne. Turns out she was quite a nice girl until fate conspired to break her heart! If you love Wonderland, you’ll obviously want to read this prequel, but even if you aren’t a Wonderland fanatic, I think you’ll still really enjoy this story for the depth of character development and fascinating world.
31 Days to Heartless!!!!! :D
Note: I received an advanced copy of Heartless from the publisher. Some things may have changed in the final version.
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Published by Feiwel & Friends on Nov. 8th, 2016
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Page Length: 464 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Barnes & Noble - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland — the infamous Queen of Hearts — she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.
Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the yet-unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend and supply the Kingdom of Hearts with delectable pastries and confections. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next Queen.
At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the king's marriage proposal, she meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship.
Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.
- My familiarity with Alice in Wonderland ends with the Disney cartoon from last century, but I was still able to pick up on lots of little twists on the traditional Wonderland and loved seeing how Meyer worked in all the silly details I loved as a kid. It is impressive how she was able to combine the whimsy with a fairly dark undertone of danger and suspense.
- Catherine, Cath to her friends, turns out to be a lovely girl before becoming Queen. I definitely was getting hungry reading about her amazing baking inventions and would have loved to sit down for a cup of tea with her. She’s a heroine you really want to win, even though you know things can’t turn out well.
- As you would probably expect, there is a romance, but there is not a true love triangle! The King is courting Catherine, but she has no interest at all in him and instead has her heart stolen by a swoon-inducing man in black. I don’t normally get into romance storylines, but wow I shipped this one! I think part of it is that you know things are going to go wrong, so I wanted what I knew wouldn’t happen? Yeah, I’m weird ;-).
- I sat down to read this book at 6pm and the husband was late getting home from work, so I ended up finishing it at midnight. It was absolutely addicting and I wanted to do nothing but read. I was in the middle of quite a reading slump, but this book reminded me how wonderful it is to binge a fantastic book.
- I was skeptical going in how Catherine would go from this sweet girl to the infamous Queen of Hearts, but I am convinced by the character development. She is pushed into several difficult decisions and tries so hard to get things to work out. I definitely now pity the Queen of Hearts and wish that her life hadn’t led to such heartbreak. Casts the movies in a whole new light!
- I think there was a part of me that still hoped the ending would be somewhat uplifting somehow, despite knowing this was the origin story of a villain. Yeah no, this book will leave you a bit depressed, which can be fine, but is important to know going in for full enjoyment.
Heartless is a fantastic addition to the world of Alice in Wonderland and a great book for those who enjoy fantasy, but don’t want to get dragged into a never-ending series. Meyer’s writing and characters continue to be addicting and compelling, so don’t miss this book!
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
© 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.