Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews is the ninth book in the Kate Daniels series and let me tell you, this series just keeps getting better and better! There will be spoilers below for the previous books since it’s hard to discuss this one without that, but if you haven’t picked up this series, do it!
Note: I received an advanced copy of Magic Binds from the publisher. Some things may have changed in the final version.
Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels #9)
Published by Ace on Sept. 20th, 2016
Genres: Adult, Urban Fantasy
Page Length: 384 pages
How I got my copy: NetGalley
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Barnes & Noble - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…
Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar…
Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.
The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules…
- One of my favorite things about urban fantasy stories is the use of a supernatural mystery to drive the plot. As series get further along, sometimes that mystery gets left along the way. I’m really happy, therefore, that even at book nine, Kate still has strange occurrences to investigate along with preparing for a war with her father.
- It is so fun for me to think back to when Roland was just this name that made all of us shiver to think of and now he is my favorite villain! He is the perfect love-to-hate villain in this book and we definitely get to know him a lot better as an actual person instead of the legend.
- I also love that even though a lot is happening with Kate, we still get secondary character development along the way. Little details like who in the Keep makes wedding dresses and cakes and big details like who Christopher really is. These secondary characters feel so alive precisely because details of their lives are fit in everywhere.
- Kate continues to be my favorite character, of course, because she is freaking hilarious. Her humor is very much my humor and I will never get tired of hearing her snark when fighting giant monsters!
- I was surprised at how much the novellas seemed important for revelations in this book. I have read the Julie/Derek novella and found that that information seemed to be pretty vital for understanding certain interactions. I don’t like novellas being required reading since it can be hard for readers to know they exist at all….
- I’m not really sure how I feel about this plot dynamic yet, but it seemed a bit strange how much build up there was to a big battle for this to not be the last book. I can’t explain myself well without spoiling the ending for this book, but I found the overall plot arch a little strange.
Magic Binds is an addicting and wonderful read from the first page to the last. I’m really happy with how strong this series is finishing and am going to seriously miss Kate once the final book is out. I can’t recommend this series enough for the world-building, the characters, the magic, just everything!
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews
© 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.