Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews is the eighth book in the Kate Daniels series, so definitely stop now if you don’t want to be spoiled, but know that this is an urban fantasy series you can’t miss! For those of you who have read most of the previous books, be prepared for a story that gets back to some good ol’ supernatural mystery solving while paving the groundwork for a damn epic showdown with Roland! Oh and sexy times ;-).
Note: I received an advanced copy of Magic Shifts from the publisher. Some things may have changed in the final version.
Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels #8)
Published by Ace on Aug. 4th, 2015
Genres: Adult, Urban Fantasy
Page Length: 400 pages
How I got my copy: NetGalley
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate—former Beast Lord Curran Lennart—are adjusting to a very different pace. While they’re thrilled to escape all the infighting, Curran misses the constant challenges of leading the shapeshifters.
So when the Pack offers him its stake in the Mercenary Guild, Curran seizes the opportunity—too bad the Guild wants nothing to do with him and Kate. Luckily, as a veteran merc, Kate can take over any of the Guild’s unfinished jobs in order to bring in money and build their reputation. But what Kate and Curran don’t realize is that the odd jobs they’ve been working are all connected.
An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it—before it takes their city apart piece by piece…
- I can’t get over how much I love Curran and Kate. When I was reading Magic Shifts, I seriously kept thinking “relationship goal!” over and over since I hope that in a situation this crazy, the hubby and I would handle things as well as Curran and Kate ;-). They aren’t perfect certainly, but their relationship just feels so genuine; they are that couple that I’m friends with and just like being around because they make each other so happy it’s contagious.
- Magic Shifts focuses on middle eastern magic, which as a whole lot of fun. I really enjoy how much Andrews brings fresh myths into the urban fantasy genre so that you can’t easily guess what baddie is behind it all!
- The subplot with Roland was quite interesting in Magic Shifts. I had a certain picture of him in my mind, and he broke that mould a bit, but that is kind of nice. We’re finally getting to see Roland in person instead of just hearing about him from everyone else, and he makes for a very intriguing villain.
- The mystery in Magic Shifts is addictive. Between needing to know the answers and the non-stop action, I could not put this book down! The pacing was just superb; as soon as one crisis was mostly resolved, the next would pop up!
- Whoa, Magic Shifts is full of some really scary consequences for Kate. I won’t give away what exactly happens, but I was really impressed that Magic Shifts showed that Kate isn’t able to defeat everything without a scratch and wow how scary that made things.
- The last two books of the Kate Daniels series have left me in tears, so it was a bit disappointing to find myself completely dry-eyed by the end of Magic Shifts. I realize that this is rather a tall order for a series to always mess with my emotions, but I missed that catharsis a bit ;-).
- It took me a bit of thinking after finishing Magic Shifts to connect up all the plot developments and see how they logically fit together. For a startling second I thought there was a plot hole, but I figured it out eventually!
Magic Shifts is a solid addition to the Kate Daniels series and long time fans will have a blast. Be prepared to be dying to read the last two books though since things with Roland are finally really getting going! Also if you haven’t started this series yet, GET ON THAT!
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews
© 2015, Anya. All rights reserved.