Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews is a novella in the Kate Daniels world, but starring Julie and Derek. It is great getting stories from perspectives other than Kate’s since, much to her disappointment I’m sure, she doesn’t know everything ;-). Julie and Derek have a great dynamic and their adventure is both humorous and heart-stopping. More importantly though, there are some really big reveals that make this a necessary read for fans of the Kate Daniels series!
Note: I received an advanced copy of Magic Stars from the author. Some things may have changed in the final version.
Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews (Grey Wolf, Kate Daniels)
Published by Author on Dec. 8th, 2015
Genres: Adult, Urban Fantasy
Page Length: 64 pages
How I got my copy: Author
Amazon - Barnes & Noble - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Scarred, solitary Derek Gaunt has separated from his Pack, and is truly a lone wolf. With no family he answers to no one; but is fiercely loyal to a chosen few. So, when several of those close to him are murdered, he’ll stop at nothing to hunt their killer through the magic-drenched streets of Atlanta.
Never one to be left on the sidelines, equally determined—some might say stubborn—Julie Lennart-Olsen soon joins in his pursuit; and what began as revenge turns into a race to save the city. Their search pits them against powers they never imagined and magic so old, it predates history. It may cost Derek his life, but there are things for which even he would risk everything.
- Derek and Julie are the best. I might like them more than Kate and Curran at this point, it’s a toss up ;-). They aren’t romantically involved obviously since Julie is still a kid and Derek is a good guy, but they are such a great pair. Julie has turned into a pretty kick ass teenager and I love that Derek trusts in her abilities and doesn’t shelter her when they need to get a job done.
- I love that this series is filled with a never-ending supply of fascinating magical creatures. This novella adds a very creepy addition to the list, but I won’t give away the surprise ;-). *shudders*
- Andrews’ signature snark and humor is fully present in this story. It’s also great because Julie and Derek very much have their own voices and their own jokes, but are still equally hilarious.
- Often novellas seem like a throw-away story that doesn’t really add much to the main series, but that is not the case here. Someone is keeping secrets and you are going to want to hear them!
- Maybe it’s because we’ve always seen Julie through Kate’s eyes, but she seemed a lot different in this novella than what I was used to her being. It was a bit jarring and difficult to reconcile the Julie that I know from the main series and this axe-wielding bad ass.
- I worry a bit that so many important things happen in this novella since it might not be obvious to a lot of readers that it exists and they should read it before continuing the series. Perhaps Andrews has a master plan to make up for this in the next book? But in any case, do yourself a favor and grab a copy!
Magic Stars is an addictive novella that adds to the Kate Daniels series while maintaining its own tone and adventure. I had a great time hanging out with Julie and Derek and am now kind of wishing for a full spin-off series, hmmmmmm ;-).
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews
© 2015, Anya. All rights reserved.