Welcome to another week with our intrepid changeling investigator and what an exciting week it is! We are discussing chapters 7-14, and there will be major spoilers for them below! Also given the cliffhanger we ended on, if you’ve already read the full book please be careful not to spoil!
1. We finally get to meet Devin and Sylvester. They’ve both played important roles in Toby’s life. What were your initial impressions of both of them and the worlds in which they live. What were your first thoughts about them?
It’s sad, but it makes sense to me that Devin and Home exist. I think Toby makes a good point that the kids who never realize who he really is and that they aren’t trapped probably wouldn’t make it on their own, so it’s best for them to have someone looking out for them. Sylvester seems almost too nice, though it was reassuring to see that glint of steel that he just apparently prefers to hide. I wish he hadn’t been hurt so badly with his wife and daughter disappearing, I can’t imagine what it’s like to see his daughter as she is now day after day.
2. I’m totally intrigued by the Hope Chest – do you have any ideas about what exactly it is and what might be the significance of it being found?
With the ending of this section I momentarily forgot about the Hope Chest! It seemed like it definitely healed Toby somewhat, so I guess some of the legend surrounding it must be true about changelings. It must also be able to do bad things though if Evening was afraid of someone with ill intentions getting ahold of it. It’s one of those things that proof that this myth is real implies that others could be too, maybe we’ll find the lost three monarchs!
3. Tybalt – I was curious as to Toby’s reasoning to trust him with the Hope Chest – what do you think?
I understand the idea that it is mostly changelings that the Hope Chest is tempting to, so giving it to a pureblood that will keep it out of changeling hands is a good idea. I also get that oaths are binding to purebloods, so if Tybalt agrees, Toby can actually trust him. I was amused about the whole trust because she doesn’t trust thing, but I think I get it. A friend could say yes because they feel bad for Toby, but not take the promise seriously, whereas Tybalt has no reason to do so.
4. We experience the reaction of other members of the fae to the murder of Evening and Toby telling them about the Queen’s reactions – did their reactions give you any clues at all??
Um, wtf Raysel?? Something is definitely going on there. I think that she might have heard rumors or something and didn’t believe them and is entertained that they turned out true maybe? The Queen’s reaction is obviously also very strange and troubling, but I have no ideas there…. I’m glad that Toby at least has Sylvester on her side now though!
5. What were your thoughts on Raysel and Luna?
Poor kid :(. It’s a good point that an adult going through something horrible might be able to make it through all right, whereas a kid would be more likely to get seriously warped since they knew nothing else before. I really really want to know what happened obviously. I’m hopeful that Luna thinks that Raysel will eventually recover, I guess given how long the fae live, it’s possible?
6. That ending, did we just end up back in the first post? – what is going on? Speculation?? Lets just talk about it please.
That ending couldn’t have been better timed if we’d planned it ;-). I think that Toby really is going to die and the whole rest of the series is about her identical twin ;-).
How are you liking Rosemary and Rue so far? :D
© 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.