Spoils and Tribute is a feature of On Starships and Dragonwings where I tell you about the books I’ve bought and received recently (my version of Stacking the Shelves). I promise that I paid for all my spoils and I’m not letting the “tribute” go to my head ;-). Planning to pillage is just my version of Waiting on Wednesday where I share books that have caught my eye!
The past couple of weeks have been slow due to the holidays, but then this week all of a sudden I have found myself with a massive inflow of books. This is mostly due to my friends being AWESOME and giving me lots of pretties :D.
- Night Shift (Penguin, Solicited) – I read everything by Ilona Andrews okay?? This looks like a fun collection of short stories since it is short and concentrated, I’m excited to discover some new authors too!
- Woven (Scholastic, Unsolicited) – This looks like a cool middle grade and I had thought about requesting it, so this was a pleasant surprise!
- Beneath (Scholastic, Unsolicited) – Ummmmm, this doesn’t quite look like my cup of tea, anyone know anything?
- Nnewts (Scholastic, Unsolicited) – I don’t tend to read graphic novels so this one isn’t really for me either :(.
- The Traders’ War (Tor, Unsolicited) – I have read sadly no Stross and I do wan to fix that, but I think this is a set of sequels?
- Witches of Echo Park (Penguin, NetGalley) – Tara! This looks like lots of fun and I’m excited to read and review it for the tour!
- Crimson Bound (Harper, Edelweiss) – Precioussssssss! I’m so excited to read this!
- Magonia (Harper, Edelweiss) – I wasn’t going to download this one and then I saw Gaiman blurbed it and I caved >.>. Plus, I like weird fantasy!
- Superheroes Anonymous (Harper, Edelweiss) – I got an email pitching this one and downloaded it because it sounded fun, but I wasn’t sure I’d be able to fit it in. Then I was in the mood for something random and ended up really enjoying it :D.
- The Arctic Code (Harper, Edelweiss) – I love trying out random middle grade since it is a low time commitment if I’m unsure ;-).
- lllusionarium (Harper, Edelweiss) – It sounds soooooo cool and it’s pretty!
- The Awakened Kingdom (Orbit, NetGalley) – I’ve only read the first Hundred Thousand Kingdoms book, but I loved it and really want to get to the other two. This is a novella pitched as a companion, so I’m hoping I can read it without having read the second two!
- Darkwalker (Penguin, NetGalley) – I got an email pitching the second book but had a link to the first so I’m excited to start this series! I’ve had good luck reading random series from Penguin :D.
- Dr. Critchlore’s School for Minions – (Abrams, NetGalley) – Yey adorable middle grade! Minion school :D
I found Endsinger a couple of days before release and thought I’d already have it read, oh well, soon though :D. I also tried out taking the picture of the books on my bookshelf, but you can’t really see it in the background, ha.
I bought the audiobook of Legion: Skin Deep because it’s free on Audible! I love this series of shorts :D.
I went on a bit of a book buying splurge and got a few books that I’d been thinking about getting nice hardcovers in for a while ;-). I didn’t take pictures of my BookOutlet haul before shelving them, sorry! And yes that’s the UK version of Rothfuss’ new book because it’s pretty :D.
And now we start the “my friends are awesome section” with this giant pile of books that I was given! There are a lot of oldies but goodies in there including an entire fantasy series I’d never heard of, so I’m excited! Also my awesome friend got me these book earrings she spotted on Etsy <3!!!!
And this is what happens when you’re friends with a book blogger who is moving! A whole bunch of ARCs of varying ages, some new, some old, all to be added to the giveaway stack eventually. Which do you want to get your hands on first? (That’s Iron Trial at the bottom of the first stack.) Also she handed me Storm Thief saying she loved it and wants me to have a copy, ha. I love book friends!!!!
Planning to Pillage
(i.e. new to the wishlist)
I just found out about Jessica Day George’s new series and I’m so so pumped :D.
And sticking with the theme of new series from favorite author, Radiance by Catherine Valente! I have no idea what “decopunk pulp SF alt-history space opera mystery set in a Hollywood” means, but I’ll give it a try!
What have you gotten recently? What are you looking forward to?
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.