Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
I freaking love friendships in books. I’ll take a solid friendship over a romance any day. Friends who will adventure together and sacrifice everything for each other easily move me to tears. Whether the characters have been friends from the beginning or find each other during the series, strong friendships add such a wonderful depth to any story. Fun fact: boys and girls can be just friends too!
The Best Bromances
- Among Thieves – I’ve only just discovered this series recently, but Drothe has a best friend from the beginning and a lot of the tension of the series is the difficulty that can arise when your best friend doesn’t agree with you on what is best for the world… awkward!
- The Lies of Locke Lamora – No list of friendships is complete without Locke and Jean :D. When a conversation between these two about pears can put me into stitches, you know the banter is top notch ;-).
- Clockwork Angel – My favorite part of this trilogy was definitely the friendship between Will and Jem. Will’s constant concern for Jem’s failing health was really touching and Jem’s dedication to Will despite his faults just made me love Jem more. Team Jem!
- Through the Ever Night – This is a trilogy where the middle book was my favorite largely because of the development of Roar and his friendship with Perry. I loved how dedicated Roar was, to the point where no one worried that there would be a love triangle because Roar would never betray Perry.
- The Way of Kings – Kaladin goes through some tough times, but some of the men of his bridgecrew turn out to be awesome blokes. The friendship and respect that the men of bridge four develop for each other was especially moving because they were considered the lowest of the low in the military. They proved otherwise though!
Best Friends Forever and Ever!
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone – Karou and Zuzanna are my favorite! There are a lot of awesome friendships in this series, but the email exchange between Karou and Zuzanna in the second book was just priceless :D. It’s a pretty dedicated friend that is willing to go to other worlds for you ;-).
- The Ring and the Crown – This book has a lot of romance in it, but the friendship between Marie and Aelwyn is definitely an important part of the plot. I’m really looking forward to seeing how their friendship continues in the sequel!
- The Lunar Chronicles #3: Cress – Again, there are a lot of great friendships in this series, but my favorite is Cinder and Iko. So why then did I put Cress as the book in this list? Because Iko gets developed a lot more in Cress and I really enjoyed seeing her and Cinder’s relationship change as they embark on grand adventures, hehe.
- Horizon – This is the third of the trilogy, but I loved it because Horizon was where the friendships between our four main characters are really tested since they are actually separated for a lot of the book.
- Scarlet – The merrymen are all good friends, but my favorite friendship in Scarlet is between Scar and Much :D. Much is a pretty quiet guy, but I adore him so much and his friendship with Scarlet is awesome since there is never a question of what his intentions are, ha. Boys and girls can be just friends :D.
What are your favorite literary friendships? :D Do you find that you like characters more when they prove to be reliable friends?
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.