Welcome to the last week of The Great Hunt Readalong! There will spoilers for the entire book here for obvious reasons ;-). Also I’ll probably be pretty brief this week since I am feeling quite under the weather with a cold. I’m not sure if it’s all the medication I downed that is making me loopy and sleepy, or just the icky virus itself. In any case, omigawd please make my nose stop hating me!
1. Wow! Those a’dam are real mood changers (i.e. Nynaeve’s reaction to having all that control over another). Would you be tempted to put any of the characters we have met so far in The Wheel of Time world in an a’dam? Anyone in real life?
I’m a bit of a pacifist I have to say. No matter how much I disliked/hated (I don’t think I hate anyone >.>) a person, I wouldn’t want to torture them. I’m all for kicking the evil characters’ butts and making sure they don’t do bad things anymore, but I don’t think torturing them with the a’dam would do that. Perhaps it would be useful to be sure you can control someone who you don’t want killed for some reason, but I would be nervous about that power to cause unproductive pain.
2. Perrin still hasn’t revealed the full extent of his wolfish powers to his friends. Do you think he’s making the right choice? Would you do the same?
I have trouble hiding anything, so I would definitely not do the same. I’m surprised that revelation still hasn’t happened to be honest. It doesn’t seem like something that is that shameful, especially since now most of the people around him know about Rand anyway. Being able to talk to wolves doesn’t seem that bad in comparison to destroying the world ;-).
3. We finally learn what has been driving Ingtar to find the Horn. Do you think his final act makes restitution for whatever ills he did as a Dark Friend?
Oh my god, this twist! I never saw it coming, and there was so much crying when he sacrificed himself!!! I like what Rand said about just wanting to walk in the Light is a good start and makes him no longer a Dark Friend. I wish he could have turned things around sooner, but I do think his final act brings him a long way towards restitution. However, I can’t say if he’s completely made up for everything, since we don’t actually know how many horrible things he did :(.
5. We get to see Rand in 2 sword fights – one with Turak and one with The Dark One. Which one did you find more satisfying or entertaining?
I actually liked the one with Turak a lot more in terms of actual swordplay. It was awesome to see how Rand matched up against a real blademaster, and to see how the void helps him so much. Turak’s expression when Rand started actually fighting with his full abilities was so awesome, I wish I could see that in a movie or something ;-).
6. Lanfear chose to reveal her existence to Min, and gave her a message for Rand. Why do you think Min was the lucky one?
That whole scene was a bit confusing for me. I thought Lanfear was supposed to be super evil, but she didn’t seem so bad…. I am pretty sure I’m supposed to dislike her still, but now I’m starting to forgive the annoying evil moments she had before as Selene. I think Min just might have been in the right place at the right time, since she was taking care of Rand after the battle, and that was when Lanfear found Rand.
As many of you probably noticed from the emails, I will not be co-hosting The Dragon Reborn. Graduate school has been making my life overly difficult lately, and I just have been getting too stressed I’m afraid. In order to keep having fun, I will be taking a back seat in the readalong for a bit, since this is supposed to be about fun after all :D. Also, thank you so much to everyone who agreed to co-host with Nrlymrtl, I’m excited to see all the great discussion questions!
© 2013 – 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.