The Secrets of Solace by Jaleigh Johnson is the second book in the World of Solace series, but it is a companion and stands alone quite well from the first book, The Mark of the Dragonfly. So, if the idea of a steampunk fantasy world where mysterious items from other worlds fall from the sky as meteors, this is a great place to jump in! In this second book, we get to find out so much more about those strange objects and the world of Solace while also cheering for classic underdogs fighting against the Draco Malfoys of the school ;-). Delacorte is providing giveaway copies, so don’t miss the giveaway below!
Note: I received an advanced copy of The Secrets of Solace from the publisher. Some things may have changed in the final version.
The Secrets of Solace by Jaleigh Johnson (World of Solace #2)
Published by Delacorte on March 8th, 2016
Genres: Fantasy, MG
Page Length: 384 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Barnes & Noble - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Lina Winterbock lives in the mountain strongholds of Solace. She’s an apprentice to the archivists, the wise men and women whose lives are dedicated to cataloging, studying, and preserving the objects that mysteriously fall from the sky in the scrap towns.
Lina should be spending her days with books, but the Iron War has changed everything. The strongholds are now a refuge, and the people Lina once counted on no longer have time for her, so she spends her days exploring the hidden tunnels and passages of her home. The strongholds are vast and old, with twisting paths, forgotten rooms, and collapsed chambers, some of them containing objects that have been lost and forgotten even by the archivists.
And in one of the forgotten chambers, Lina discovers a secret.
Hidden deep in a cavern is a half-buried airship like nothing she has ever seen before. She’s determined to dig it out and restore it. But Lina needs help, and she doesn’t know anyone she can trust with her secret.
Then she meets Ozben, a mysterious boy who has a secret of his own—a secret that’s so dangerous it could change the course of the Iron War and the world of Solace forever.
- The Secrets of Solace is all about the Archivists! In this world where objects fall as meteors, a group of scholars has dedicated themselves to collecting as many objects as possible to study them, try to understand where they come from, and if possible use them for the betterment of the world. In the previous book, I really wanted more details about the meteors, so I was over the moon to get an inside look :D.
- I am starting to become really fond of series with true companion novels. The events of this book stand strongly alone, so you can easily jump in here without even noticing there was another book in the series. Both books tell about the same general time period and major events, but focus on different parts of the world and different characters. It’s nice to be able to jump around in a series and not feel lost, plus it helps those of us with horrible memories ;-).
- This story is all about friendship. Lina doesn’t have many friends, or really any, but through the story she finds that all sorts of things can be your friend, including cats that sometimes light on fire, and that weird boy that just dropped into your life. I liked that there was no hint at all of a romantic or puppy love relationship starting, keep middle grade romance free!
- You know that fire cat I mentioned above? The Secrets of Solace is full of cool creatures and things that you wouldn’t expect to be sentient. It turns out that, strangely, some living things are able to make it to the meteor field unscathed, so there are even creatures from other worlds, and they are all quite unique :D.
- Did you ever wonder why some of Harry Potter’s teachers cared so much to be so cruel to him? As an adult, I just don’t really see the logic behind a teacher forming a vendetta against a student; they have so much else to worry about! Therefore, I’m a bit skeptical of the mean teacher trope that conveniently motivates a lot of middle grade storylines and Secrets of Solace isn’t an exception.
- I found Secrets of Solace to be a bit slower paced than the previous book. I certainly enjoyed my reading experience, but I wasn’t glued to the pages like I was previously.
The Secrets of Solace is a middle grade fantasy that will enchant readers of all ages. I love all the unique concepts that fuel this world, and the gorgeous cover art that brings it to life! Since this is a companion novel, you can jump in right away, but you better order the first book, since you aren’t going to want to leave Solace!
Courtesy of Delacorte, I have two copies of The Secrets of Solace to giveaway! This giveaway will be open to US and Canadian addresses, as per Delacorte’s policies. The winners will have 48 hours to respond to respond to my email.
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
The Secrets of Solace by Jaleigh Johnson
© 2016, Anya. All rights reserved.