Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Check out the upcoming topics to start posting!
This is my first Top Ten Tuesday post and I was so excited to see the topic when I decided that I should start participating. Often I have trouble thinking what my answers would be, but not this week! I’m rather closeted about a lot of my bookish habits, so this is the perfect opportunity to air all my worries, haha!
- Dog-Earring – Yup, that’s right, I horribly mutilate books (just paperbacks though!) when the pages are flimsy enough or the book is already used. I have trouble holding on to bookmarks, and it’s just easier to dog-ear the pages. It just doesn’t really bother me for some reason….
- Spine-breaking – More torture of books! I don’t really understand how you are able to read some of these paperbacks without breaking the spine. A friend lent me some books that apparently she has read because she loved them, but they look freaking new. There is no way that I can open them enough to read them without break their spines…. I actually had to ask her if it was all right that I broke their spines because I felt so bad ruining her beautiful books. I really wish I could manage not to, but apparently I’m just blind or something and must open the book all the way to read the words :).
- Slow Reader – Sniffles, it’s such a problem! Through a combination of what kinds of books I tend to read, the limited time I have for pleasure reading while being a graduate student, and my apparent natural reading pace, it takes me a while to read books. I don’t really understand you amazing people who can finish multiple books in a week. Unless they were Dr. Seuss, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t even do it when I was on holiday! One book a week is a miracle for me and it’s a bit of a problem for a book blogger. Tips anyone?
- Mismatching Collections – I know a lot of you must have a matching collection for a series, as in they all have to be hardcover and the same edition etc. Due to my student budget, that has never really been an option for me, and so I have a very eclectic bookshelf of every height of book and parts of series all over the place. I like the look of a series all nicely laid out, but it’s just not enough of a priority for me to ever fix….
- Lack of Own Books – Despite the fact that my one hobby is reading and blogging about books, I really don’t own that many. Right now I’m defining own as “have on my shelves in my apartment.” Much of “my” collection resides at my parents house and probably will stay there until I actually buy a house somewhere. I also read mostly library or otherwise borrowed books when I’m not reading review books. I’m working on fixing this though! Between used book stores (80 cents for a paperback :D) and book sales, I’ve been slowly buying more and more books, including copies of books that I borrowed and loved and want to own.
- Completion Obsession – I am a very task oriented person and find finishing books to be extremely satisfying. This means that I am quite determined to read every book on my shelves, write a review for it and tuck it neatly on the read shelf. This habit is probably a contributing factor to my lack of owned books, since it’s much easier for me to return a book to the library that I didn’t finish and don’t plan to than for it to sit on my shelf laughing at me… forever…. Gah!
- Lack of Top Ten Tuesdays – As said earlier, this is my first Top Ten Tuesday and I can’t believe I waited so long to join in, I’m sorry. D: I’ll do better now!
- Bad at Networking – I blame this on homework, but I know that I’m just really bad at book blog networking. I promise that I am trying to get better at participating in the community (as seen here!) but it’s definitely something that is holding me back. I would love advice from anyone who also has trouble connecting with the community on their strategies!
- Couldn’t Finish This List – This is rather meta, but I can’t think of anything more, which seems a little silly for my first Top Ten Tuesday…. Oh well, sniffles.
Well that was fun! Link me to your Top Ten Tuesday post please :D.
Remember to subscribe for weekly reviews of awesome books!
© 2012, Anya. All rights reserved.