Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Check out the upcoming topics to start posting!
Whew, I dunno if this is actually going to be a full top ten list, since I’m glomping some big goals together. I’m also focusing on book related goals here since I just talked about blog related goals yesterday!
- Read 60 books – I started blogging and reading intensely in March this year, and read 50 books according to Goodreads, so adding two more months should make 60 books quite doable. What might make it less doable is the fact I’m in graduate school now and wasn’t for half the year this year, so it might still be a stretch ;-). I realize this goal doesn’t seem that high to a lot of you, but I don’t count all the academic papers I read and my brain gets all fried D:
- 3 Old Fantasy and Sci-fi – With all the new books constantly coming out, it’s hard to find time to read the oldies but goodies once in a while ;-). I want to make sure I read several older sci-fi or fantasy books, though what I define as old might be a little fluid ;-).
- 2 Contemporary – While this is a Sci-fi and Fantasy blog for the most part, I don’t want to be too narrowly focused at the expense of great books! With that in mind, I’m going to be trying to reach outside of my comfort zone into the contemporary novels that have been most popular in 2012. I’m a little nervous about this one, since I don’t know how it’ll go, but I’m hopeful!
- 1 Steampunk – Steampunk is a genre that I just haven’t figured out yet, but I don’t know if it’s because the themes just don’t resonate with me, or because I haven’t read a good steampunk book yet. Stormdancer didn’t quite do it for me (the pollution was too depressing), but I would love recommendations for which book I should try for this one.
- Fewer Review Books, Specific Ones – Since this was my first year book blogging, I had the typical excited response to my first many review book requests and said yes yes yes! This led to getting a bit overwhelmed with review books that weren’t books I would have picked up normally and should have thought more about before accepting them. That being said, review books led to a couple of series that I absolutely loved and wouldn’t have found without accepting review copies (like Destiny Binds). This year I want to focus on being picky about the review copies I accept so that I can read books (review and non-review) that I enjoy and that I think my readers will enjoy.
- More From My Favorites – In the mad rush to read the latest books and review books, I haven’t had a chance to read all of the books from some of my favorite authors, such as Brandon Sanderson, so I want to make sure to find time to read the older (and new!) work from authors I already know I love and not worry about keeping up with all the debuts constantly, as much fun as they are too ;-).
- Reread – Rereading is something that I pretty much never do, which I realize is a freakish thing in this community. I’m not going to change this much since my reading time is limited, but there are some books I want to try to reread, The Hobbit being one of them. My dad read it to me when I was quite young, so now that the movies are being made, I want to re-familiarize myself with the story. I realize I’m a little late on this one, just haven’t had time yet ;-).
- Reading Speed – This is a weird one, but I’m not as fast as a reader as I’d like to be. I know that I’m slower than one of my friends, but she is freakishly fast (she read Graceling in two-three hours if I recall correctly), but I think I’m fairly fast compared to the general population. This, however, doesn’t mean much compared to the other book enthusiasts out there, and I often get frustrated with myself that I can’t get through books as quickly as so many of you ;-). With that in mind, I’m going to be trying to increase my reading speed when I’m not too tired and hopefully without decreasing my comprehension and enjoyment too much! If anyone has any tips, feel free to share :D.
Well, that’s all I have, but I think that’ll be plenty, haha! As always, I love to hear from you, so let me know what your goals are and I’ll probably realize I missed something! Also if you are a new follower, let me know and I’ll follower you back :D
© 2013, Anya. All rights reserved.