Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
Since Game of Thrones has become such a popular TV show, I run into a lot of people who have seen the show and maybe started to read the books and haven’t read much other fantasy at all. I’m then forced to try to get them to read all the awesome other books out there that they should if they like Game of Thrones :D. Now, I know one thing that a lot of people like about Game of Thrones is the court intrigue, but I’m not actually a big fan of court intrigue, so I can’t really make book recommendations for that aspect >.>. However, I can make other types of recommendations :D.
More Epic Fantasy
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson – if you like your stories hefty with extremely interwoven and complex plots, The Way of Kings is your book!
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson – I promise this is the last Sanderson, but it is my favorite of his so I couldn’t resist! If you like crazy new worlds with spooky religions and magic, Elantris is a great pick and not quite as long as TWoK ;-).
- A Turn of Light by Julie Czerneda – Look at me and including things other than Sanderson :D. A Turn of Light is a bit of a slow building book, but I think that A Song of Ice and Fire is full of slow books, so fans should be pleased, haha. A Turn of Light has village intrigue instead of court intrigue, but kind of the same, plus dragons!
- The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima – I feel horrible that I’m only on book one of this series, but it boasts a lot of fans and another awesomely intricate fantasy world and an unhealthy obsession with the number seven! ;-)
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin – I struggle to convey the awesomeness of this book but the world is fantastic and there are dead and enslaved gods! Plus I love me an unreliable narrator who admits that she is going crazy :D.
More Edgy SF/F
- The Waking Engine by David Edison – Now when I say edgy, I mean adult content for this one! There is sex and violence and lots of swearing but also a mind-blowingly awesome world of the dead and beautiful writing.
- Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff – Stormdancer is more on the dark side of edgy. I actually found it rather depressing when I first read it, but then my reading tastes shifted and I flipping loved the sequel even though it was even darker! The world of Stormdancer is awesome but extreme climate change and pollution kind of place ya know? Oh and court intrigue!
- Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead – This is a sci-fi, so it is a little further away from Game of Thrones, but the world and characters have a similar feel in my brain for some reason. There are plenty of sexy times and action along with mystery and magic.
- Grim Company by Luke Scull – This book kind of grossed me out at times, but it is very much dark fantasy with all the violence and fighting and spooky magic that you could wish for. Despite at times wishing it was less gross, I’ve become strangely attached to it and am dying for the sequel (so you GRRM fans can feel right at home :D).
- The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch – I think it would be illegal to have a list of edgy fantasy without Scott Lynch’s series on it, haha. If you like deviously gray characters and more complex plots, Locke is perfect and amazing and so so funny. There is a lot of swearing, but it is so artfully done!
Yey, I love epic and edgy spec fic :D. It’s fun getting to do a list with books I haven’t featured as much as well, so that’s a plus. Anyway, are you a GRRM fan? Have you read any of these? Any other recommendations?
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.