Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
I love this topic so much since I frequently wish I could be friends with characters. That is probably one of the biggest factors contributing to my overall reading experience actually: do I feel the need to spend as much time with this character as I can because I just like them? This doesn’t necessarily that they are all that great of a person, since I like broken characters too ;-).
You Just Sound So Nice!
Let’s start with the characters that are just so adorable and sweet that I want to hang around them because they make me happy!
- Cress is of course adorable and I just want to hug her throughout the book! I personally really liked that she wasn’t the typical kick-butt heroine since we already have Cinder and Scarlet for that.
- Elisa let me count the ways I love you! You look like me, not a perfect model and not some crazy martial arts expert. You have wonderful taste in men and pastries. You are smart and determined and so so beautiful <3. I seriously think we would be best friends *stalks*.
- Bitterblue can get a bit whiny, but she has been dealt a tough situation and I really appreciated the concern she had for all of her citizens despite the pain she was going through herself. Once she’s gotten the whole running a queendom thing worked out, I’d love to hang!
- Willa is so cool! She already has a best friend, but I want to be friends with both of them :D. Willa does a lot of figuring herself out in Mistwalker and I really loved accompanying her on that journey. I also just wanted to give her a hug several times. It’s gonna get better Willa!
- Shallan may not be the only main character in The Stormlight Archive, but she is so research-y and artsy and I love it! I might secretly just want to watch her sketch all day, but we could geek out about research together too :D.
Take Me With You!
- While Karou‘s life has been a bit crappy lately, I totally want to be friends with her either before everything crazy starts, or after if there is a happy ending (I don’t know, I haven’t finished yet! NO SPOILERS!!). It would be so much fun to hang out with her and Zuzanna at the Poison Apple :D.
- Similarly as above, Alina‘s life has gotten rather complicated, but I think adventuring with her would be pretty fun as long as I can be a secondary character and not get caught up in the madness, haha.
Let Us Laugh Together All Day
- How much fun would it be to hang out with Locke and Jean, nefarious thieves, pirates, and all around awesome blokes?? I just love their friendship so much and would have loved to be the token girl running around after their gang of misfits, screw Sabetha!
- Scout is such a delightfully snarky character and I just can’t stop laughing at her thoughts sometimes. Again, things get a bit crazy and ruin some of the fun, but I would have loved to be friends with Scout in high school!
- Finally, Scarlet, dear broken Scarlet <3. Hanging out with the gang would be awesome, and I think that Scarlet would warm up a bit with another snarky girl around ;-).
As you can probably tell by all the exclamation marks and smiley faces, I love thinking about being friends with characters! Loving a character is definitely something that guarantees I’ll read subsequent books, even if I didn’t like other aspects. What about you? Do characters make or break a book for you? Who would you like to be friends with?
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.