Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Check out the upcoming topics to start posting!
Technically this week’s topic is the other word for butt, but I’m weird about swearing sometimes :D. At least in titles ;-). In any case, I love this topic, because urban fantasy is (over-)rife with strong female characters, so there are lots to choose from :D.
- Mercedes Thompson – So much love for Mercy! This coyote-shifter is a teacher-turned-mechanic with a knack for finding trouble and Patricia Briggs is an amazing author. I’m not sure what is up with the covers constantly changing Mercy’s tattoos, but the books are awesome :D.
- Kate Daniels – Kate is a bit more “I have a big destiny but in the mean time I want to make up for all the crap in the world” type of heroine, but has a similar awesome urban fantasy thing going for her. Once again, Ilona Andrews is a wonderful husband and wife writing team. These two series are my favorite in a very over-saturated genre, and I really think you should check them out even if you haven’t had the best luck with urban fantasy in the past.
- Hermione Granger – I don’t include the Harry Potter series in my posts enough :D. Hermione is awesome because she uses her smarts instead of mad fighting skills and she’s a good student :D, this is Anya approved! This still counts as butt-kicking when you’ve used a spell to do the actual kicking for you right??
- Katniss Everdeen – Katniss is like the definition of butt-kicking right?? ‘Nough said ;-).
- Princess Danielle Whiteshore – The next three are all from The Princess series by the way :). A team of Charlie’s Angels-esque princesses?? Definitely kick-butt! Though Thalia is the only one that does much actual butt-kicking at first (Snow is mostly magic), everyone learns :D.
- Princess Talia Malak-el-Dahshat – Talia is the martial arts expert of the team, and so does the most butt-kicking of the three princesses, but she doesn’t let Danielle use that as an excuse not to practice :).
- Princess Snow White – As I said earlier, Snow is more of the using mirror magic to do her butt-kicking for her, but Talia has taught her some physical fighting too!
- Vin – From Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, Vin learns to use her Allomancy skills very creatively and becomes a mad ninja! I won’t spoil it, but she might be the ultimate butt-kicker with where she ends up….
- Scout Donovan – Scout starts off as a fairly normal girl, but she finds out a whole lot about herself that turns her into the kick-butt heroine that she needs to be in the Timber Wolves trilogy.
- Melanippe Saka – Seeing as Mel is a modern day Amazon, complete with special powers, she is kind of the definition of kick-butt right? This is an urban fantasy series that doesn’t seem to be continuing which makes me sad, it has a cool premise!
Remember to subscribe for weekly reviews of awesome books!
© 2012, Anya. All rights reserved.