Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
2013 was a good year for my blogging. I discovered Twitter, started delving into what I wanted to do to increase the blog’s success, had a couple of really popular posts, and have generally been building my stats and meeting lots of awesome new people. I’m at a place where I get at least a comment or two on nearly every post, which makes me really happy since I love talking to you all. December things slipped a bit in terms of quality content (from my perspective), so 2014 is mostly going to be about increasing the awesome content amount and continuing to build a great community here at On Starships and Dragonwings :D. Here are the things I’m planning on working on that I can currently think of >.>:
- Stay a month ahead of review books – My review pile is no where near unmanageable, I’m in fact quite happy with my reading schedule and the number of books I have to read. I’m not behind on anything, but I think I’m going to move to a month ahead goal. I’ll get all of February’s review books read and reviewed in January. Then once I’m done with the next month’s review books, I’ll spend the rest of the month reading all those other books I want to read :D.
- Comment on other blogs more – whenever I read a post, take the extra minute to click through a comment. I read through my feeds in the morning while eating breakfast and I’m just not a social person in the morning >.>. A lot of the time I’m just looking for a discussion post that I can read while stuffing my face, no typing necessary. However, this means that I am horrible at commenting even when I like a post! And since I’m reading in a feed reader, you don’t even know that I spent time reading your post D:. I’m aiming to fix this in 2014 by always taking the minute to click through and leave a comment when a post catches my eye. I’ll also be continuing to collect posts for SFF Fridays, so that way you know I was there too ;-).
- Aim for at least two discussion posts a month plus other fun posts on Saturdays – discussion posts sort of fell off the edge when December rolled around and I’m so sorry D:. I have a lot of ideas in my head, I just need to find the motivation to type them up. Therefore, I’ll be aiming for two discussion posts a month with other of the old features I have laying around in between. My schedule is actually really packed for the first couple months of the year due to the read-along, so Saturdays are going to become fun other bookish content day!
- Work on building Book Buddies – I started this group called Book Buddies on Book Blogging.net and I’m really geeked about it. Basically, it’s a way to read a book you were planning to read anyway with someone else (or a couple someones) and chat as you read. It’s kind of the relaxed version of a read-along or book club ;-). I’m planning on having monthly posts on the blog highlighted which books I’d like to buddy up for, so keep your eye out for those!
- Respond to comments on the blog on time – Due to school and work, I sometimes go a week without responding to comments and I feel pretty bad about that. What are your expectations when it comes to comment responses? Do you think that if blogger hasn’t responded within a couple of days, they won’t? How often do you check back?
- More international giveaways – I love doing ARC giveaways, but I just can’t afford the international shipping for those, so I want to make sure to include more international giveaways through the Book Depository. International folks: would you prefer pre-order giveaways along with ARC giveaways or giveaways for books that are already out?
- Figure out reading game rolling around in my head – I have this vague idea of making a game out of reading books in my head. I need to get all the details worked out to make sure that it will be easy for you to participate no matter how much time you have and make sure that I can keep up with it, but I’m excited :D.
- Visit all SF/F Fridays blogs and build SF/F Fridays – I rolled out SF/F Fridays this year and it’s been going very well so far! I’m hoping to continue building that in 2014 so that it becomes a valuable resource for sci-fi and fantasy readers to find out about new sf/f books, giveaways, and general book loving discussion.
- Work on community – I’ve realized that my central goal when it comes to this blog is to build a community. As an extension to that, I want to become more a part of the blogging community, so in 2014 I’ll be aiming to chat with people more on Twitter, comment back on your blog when you comment on mine, and participate in community events whenever I can. I’m off to a wretched start since I won’t be doing Bout of Books (gotta get the semester going too, haha), but I’ll try ;-).
- Request books I have a good chance of liking – I’m still figuring out the whole requesting ARCs landscape, so this is a two-fold goal. 1) Only request books I think I’ll enjoy, which I’ve already been doing pretty well. I make sure to really read the description, go over to GoodReads to see if anyone has any reviews up yet that will warn me about hidden problems, and I’m generally only requesting from larger publishing houses because I’m more assured about the quality then. The other part of this is 2) actually request the books I think I’ll like and will be able to promote. This means if the book isn’t on NG/EW, writing up my stats-filled, professional review copy request email and sending it out at the right time and possibly a couple of times. I’m also trying to figure out the “mailing lists” thing since it sounds like most publishers have a mailing list of bloggers they email catalogues to?
Anyway, those are the book blogging things I will be working on in the coming year :D. What are your goals for 2014? Any advice on mine? ;-)
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.