Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
A list of sci-fi and fantasy books that everyone has been telling me that I need to read could honestly probably consist of about 100 books >.>. I have lots of nerdy friends and as soon as I tell new people that I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, their favorite books come up and I usually haven’t read them (there are a lot of sci-fi and fantasy books okay??), which then of course leads to a statement very similar to today’s topic ;-). I love getting recommendations for books from friends though, so I actually have a list dedicated to it called “recommended” where I save recommendations for books I haven’t heard of from people whose opinion I trust quite a lot. For today though, I decided to limit myself to books that I own that I’ve heard lots and lots of good things about, since I’m kind of hoping to actually get to reading them one of these days! Prepare to be completely shocked by the books I haven’t read hehe.
- Falling Kingdoms – I bought this book as soon as it came out and I even own the sequel because I found a beautiful hardcover used and couldn’t resist. I know with complete confidence that I will love these books, but I just can’t seem to get them higher up on the TBR pile these days.
- Poison Study – I grabbed a used copy of this when I was first reading the Healer books from Snyder. I didn’t love those books, but I’ve heard a lot that the Study books are better, so I’m definitely going to give them a try! I also grabbed Storm Glass, the first in another series of hers because the magic sounded cool ;-).
- The Archived – I have it on good authority that this book will knock my socks off! I also have already bought the second, because I want to make my opinion that the series should be continued quite clear even though I have started it yet >.>.
- Incarnate – Man, I heard there were dragons in addition to the cool reincarnation of souls premise. The complete trilogy is beckoning to me from the shelf as we speak!
- Crown of Midnight – So I have to admit that I didn’t love Throne of Glass as much as I was supposed to. I wanted more of the cool fantasy world with dying magic and fewer dresses and romances all over. But, I’ve heard from many people that Crown of Midnight will be just what I want, so I’m going to catch up before Sarah stops by my town for her Heir of Fire tour; I’m determined!
- The Cloud Roads – I was so excited for this one when it came out and then as usual failed to find time to read the copy I bought ever. However, even just from the cover, I’m pretty sure I’ll love it when I do read it.
- Rosemary and Rue – I went through an urban fantasy phase sparked by greats like Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs. However, then I got burned by a couple less good series, and stopped feeling adventurous in that genre. I have heard that the October Daye books are excellent though, so I have a copy patiently waiting for me. It did just occur to me to ask though, is the audiobook of these any good?
- Not a Drop to Drink – Yes yes, you can all be shocked and horrified that I missed this top book of 2013. I own it though, that’s a start right?? I honestly haven’t been in the right mood for something really intense, so I think that’s why I’ve been putting it off. I have it ready though for when I need a book to destroy my emotions ;-).
- Pivot Point – Everyone just remember to breathe, I told you there would be shocking revelations! I have heard from soooooooo many people how amazing this book and Split Second are, so they are definitely glaring at me from the shelves. Anyone feel like throwing some word soup together to give me an idea of the feel of this one though? Will it destroy me or be light and fun?
- All Our Yesterdays – I made a deal with Kel of Booked ‘Til Tuesday that we’d swap recommendations and hold each other to reading the recommended book. I own All Our Yesterdays so that is of course a good first step. I’m also super geeked by how happy everyone seems to be with how the time travel is handled, so yet again another book I really really want to read.
I think I need to reserve the next Bout of Books for reading these ten books or something >.>. Like I said, this is only the tip of the iceberg of the books that I really want to read from my shelves and that I still want to buy to make it more likely that I will read said books. I fortunately have not hit the point where the number of books to read has exceeded my estimated life span though! There is still hope :D.
What books have you been told you absolutely must read?? Do you agree with these ten recommendations?
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.