Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
I don’t reread as a general rule. It is both because book blogging makes me already overwhelmed with all the things, but mostly because my favorite thing about books, and speculative fiction in particular, is the discovery of new worlds, no matter how similar or dissimilar they are from our own as long as there is some magic or technology for me to figure out. Rereading a book would therefore be silly because I’ve already discovered that world, so what’s the appeal? However, there are some that I can legitimately see myself listening to on audio, for example, because I want to revisit and remember the world and characters; they are THAT AMAZING! ;-)
Why aren’t these characters real people?!?!?!
- Silverblind – I LOVE DORIE! Dorie and I would be best buds if I could transport myself to her world and we would collect rare mythological specimens together and do SCIENCE! Also, her friends are all great too so I hope they’d let me into the cool kids club >.>.
- Hounded – And by people, I mean dogs. Don’t get me wrong, Atticus is fine, but his Irish Wolfhound Oberon completely steals the show. I need myself a talking, smart, extremely long-lived Irish Wolfhound STAT. But really it has to be Oberon because he is hilarious and loyal and so so so so sweet! <3
- White Cat – I might have a crush on Cassel >.>. I don’t generally fall for book guys, but I just like his personality so much in the whole conman family, but just trying to do the right thing while being pretty mischievous. I won’t steal him though, I just want to be buds :).
- Pennyroyal Academy – The main character doesn’t have a name but ends up being called Evie and for reasons I can’t tell you, I want to be her best friend forever! She’s awesome though, seriously >.>.
Writing like chocolate to my mind
- Shadow Scale – I realize that I’m a horrible person for getting to read this so early and already complaining about wanting to reread it, but OMG! Seraphina and I would also be buds, for the record, but the real stand-out part of Shadow Scale for me was how I wanted to just completely wrap myself up in Hartman’s writing and never leave.
- The Name of the Wind – I actually have already bought the audiobook of this in preparation for the very necessary rereading once book three is finally being published. I got to listen to Rothfuss talk about his writing process and he explained that he is a compulsive editor, which makes a whole lot of sense. Every word of these books blows my mind.
- Cruel Beauty – There is actually a complete overlap in this category of amazing worlds I never want to leave, coincidence? I think not! The world of Cruel Beauty left me in awe and the writing soothed my soul while also ripping apart my heart *pets copy*.
Just makes me so happy!
- Elantris – This is my favorite Sanderson book and it is also his debut, which shows a bit in the writing, but the premise rocks my socks and I have so many memories of inexplicable happiness reading this book, even when I had a migraine!
- Dealing with Dragons – I don’t really need to explain this right? This series is SO FUNNY and messes with all the classic fantasy tropes, as you can tell with the princess on the cover staring down that dragon ;-).
- Magic Marks the Spot – This book frequently made me laugh out loud literally and just generally put me in a ridiculously good mood. If I ever find myself in a reading slump, I think these three will be the solution because they remind me what I love so much about reading :D.
There you have it! The books that I would reread if I ever find myself with a desire to reread. I might actually end up rereading several of these because they have excellent audiobook versions that sound like too much fun to miss out on ;-). What are your favorite books to reread or if you are a mutant like me, what would you theoretically reread if you had to? ;-)
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.