Thanks to the gals of The Broke and The Bookish for hosting this meme every week!
Let me preface all of this by admitting that I have an absolutely HORRIBLE memory for character names, let alone secondary characters, so this is mostly a list of “secondary characters I loved so much that I remember wanting more of them” and can only sometimes justify them getting an entire book to themselves ;-).
For a Hilarious Point of View
- Oberon (Hounded) – Oberon is an Irish Wolfhound who has been bonded to the druid of the series, Atticus. This means Oberon can speak to Atticus mentally and is much more intelligent than your average dog. He is also HILARIOUS! I would love love love a novella or something narrated from Oberon’s point of view to hear all his comments on Atticus’ strange decision making ;-).
- The Gargoyle (Terror of the Southlands) – So our MC, Hilary, is a pirate but has a magical talking gargoyle instead of a parrot. In this second book, he starts making her dictate some of his memoirs and the glimpses we get are awesome. I really hope that they are released in full eventually!
- Iko (Cinder) – Does this surprise anyone???? I want to hear all of Iko’s snarky thoughts as Cinder and her friends are off adventuring, ha.
- Pirate Cousin (Goblin Emperor) – There is very brief mention of a sea-faring female cousin on Maia’s goblin side of the family and I seriously need to hear of her adventures! I’m sure that I would completely adore Addison’s writing and world if it was focused on pirate adventures instead of court politics ;-).
- Abdo and Orma and and and (Seraphina) – Seriously, endless awesome stories to be told in this world! Abdo is my favorite and I’m really curious about how his upbringing differed so much from Seraphina’s. I also would love to get into the head of Seraphina’s stoic uncle Orma since there is a lot going on there too I’m sure, ha. Just never let this series end please?
- Grey Man (Mistwalker) – The Grey Man lives in the lighthouse and controls the fog for this small lobster-fishing village. We find out some of his life and how he became what he is along with his view of things as they are happening, but I want a historical fantasy focused on his past >.>.
- Ignifex (Cruel Beauty) – What can I say without spoilers?? I just want to read more in this world and how it came to be in the condition it is… if you’ve read it, you understand!
For the Feels
- Jean (Lies of Locke Lamora) – Jean barely counts as a secondary character anymore, but technically I think Locke is still the main character and it would be awesome to get in Jean’s head :D. Also I’m hoping for lots more flashbacks to find out more about all the other Gentleman Bastards in the next book dammit!
- Sturmhond (Ruin and Rising) – Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! That is all >.>. But seriously, his PoV for the last two books would be epic, wouldn’t it??
- Beast (Dark Triumph) – *sniffles* This is my favorite of the couples just saying. Being in Beast’s head throughout Dark Triumph would be both awesome and heart-wrenching me thinks. There should be a spin-off trilogy with all the guys’ PoV, haha!
Man, it’s hard to talk about secondary characters without spoilers sometimes! And I did have to look up the spelling on a couple of names, but hopefully I got everyone right (this is a problem when listening to audiobooks D:). I absolutely love secondary characters when they are done well, so any recommendation for stories with awesome secondary characters are completely welcome, who have I missed???
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.