An unjust king picks the wrong commoner to betray in Tournament of Chance by S. G. Rogers, a fast-paced fantasy story about a rebellion fueled by love and happening through time itself.
I love the tours that I Am a Reader, Not a Writer hosts, since they are a great opportunity to read and review wonderful books that I might not get a chance to otherwise. When the email came for Tournament of Chance, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into, but there was a dragon on the cover so my chances seemed good :D. Plus archery is pretty awesome!
Goodreads | Amazon
Title: Tournament of Chance
Author: S. G. Rogers
Pages: 273 (ebook)
Genre-ish: Fantasy + Time travel!
Rating: ★★★★☆ – fast-paced story, some flaws
Heather’s skill is archery. King Chance’s skill is treachery. Who will win?
When a beautiful commoner enters the Tournament of Chance archery competition, her thwarted victory sparks a revolution in the oppressive kingdom of Destiny. Although Heather never believed the legends about the restoration of Ormaria, after three shape-shifting Ormarian wizards awaken from a long magical slumber, she joins their perilous quest to regain the throne. Heather battles vicious predators and angry trolls to free the wizards’ magic, but at a horrendous cost. She is unexpectedly torn from the arms of the man she loves and hurled back in time to fulfill a prophecy not yet written. The ensuing maelstrom tests Heather’s survival skills, wits, and endurance. Will she become an unwritten footnote in history, or can she trust the magic to lead her back to her one true love? — Goodreads
- Tournament of Chance is a fast read, full of adventure and action. I really couldn’t put the Kindle down :D.
- The plot of Tournament of Chance got really interesting with all of the time travel coolness ;-). Time travel can be kind of silly if done poorly, but I liked the mechanic that Rogers used.
- Great secondary characters! I loved that troll, he was so adorable <3. The main characters were pretty great as well, though they weren’t nearly as adorable since they weren’t giant trolls acting like mother hens; it’s hard to beat really ;-).
- Insta-love in a can, it causes cancer and global warming or something like that…. No seriously, the characters go from disliking each other to saying the L-word in a couple of pages and I just can’t connect with a relationship like that. It weakens everything about a plot :-/.
- Tournament of Chance had too little description of what I think we can all agree is the coolest part: the dragons! In general the description was pretty light, but there was literally nothing beyond “and then they were dragons.” There are lots of different kinds of dragons for the record! I need to know what these dragons look like :D.
For the most part, I really enjoy Tournament of Chance. The writing was compelling and fluid and the plot was interesting. While the character development and description was a little disappointing, you could make the argument that I’m just picky with some things ;-) and you will really enjoy Tournament of Chance for what it is: an awesome adventure through time to stop an evil king before he’s even born! I mean how much more bad-ass can a rebellion get?? I’m not just going to try to overthrow you, I’m going to try to make it so you were NEVER king :D Boo-yah! ;-) Remind me not to get on the wrong side of this chick! Anyway, if you are in the mood for a fast and fun read and don’t mind insta-love, go grab Tournament of Chance.
This post is part of a blog tour, so click on the banner up top to check out other posts on the tour! Remember to subscribe for weekly reviews of awesome books!
$25 Amazon Card Giveaway
There is also an Amazon card giveaway with this tour! Open only to those who can legally enter, receive and use an Amazon.com Gift Code or Paypal Cash. Winning Entry will be verified prior to prize being awarded. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to enter or have your parent enter for you. The winner will be chosen by rafflecopter and announced here as well as emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter or any other entity unless otherwise specified. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Giveaway was organized by Kathy from I Am A Reader, Not A Writer http://iamareadernotawriter.blogspot.com and sponsored by the author. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Tournament of Chance by S. G. Rogers
© 2013 – 2015, Anya. All rights reserved.