Wakeworld by Kerry Schafer is the second book in the Between series, a fresh urban fantasy series bringing in some fun high fantasy elements and dream magic. Wakeworld features a lot of character development for Vivian, which I really appreciated, along with lots more world-building and an ending that will leave you dying for book three! There will be spoilers for book one, so feel free to check out my review of Between instead, though be sure to scroll down to enter the giveaway still! Also before you run away to avoid spoilers, I wanted to point out that I enjoyed Wakeworld even more than Between so you should definitely check out the series ;-).
Note: I received Wakeworld from the publisher for this blog tour in exchange for an honest review. The giveaway is provided by the publisher.
Wakeworld by Kerry Schafer (Between #2)
Published by Ace on Jan. 28th, 2014
Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy
Page Length: 304 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Amazon - IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Vivian Maylor is trying to hold it together. But her attempts to build a life with the man she loves seem doomed by the dragon inside her yearning to break free. Vivian is a dreamshifter, the last line of defense between reality and the dreamworld, and the only one of her kind.
Weston Jennings also believes he is the only one of his kind. He fears his powers as a dreamshifter, and resists learning to control them. After suffering a tragic loss, Weston heads deep into the woods of the Pacific Northwest to embrace a safe life of solitude. But when a terrible mistake leads to an innocent’s death, his guilt drives him to his former home, where he encounters what he never thought he would find: another shifter.
Now Vivian and Weston must work together to defeat a new threat to the dreamworld.
- I had some complaints about Vivian’s character in Between, but Wakeworld completely turned those around. Vivian is so much stronger and really comes into her own in Wakeworld. It was clear that she’s come to terms with the fact that life is going to be crazy now and that she is the one that needs to deal with it, go Vivian!
- Because Wakeworld continues with the multiple points of view, there was a lot of depth added to all the major characters. Zee is dealing with a lot and gets his own storyline for much of Wakeworld, Jared reveals some of what is going on in his head, and of course we get a new villain who also has some interesting motives. Wakeworld really pulls on the benefit of multiple points of view in that we get to know all the characters involved much better than is possible through a single PoV.
- There is a lot more world-building in Wakeworld since Vivian finally has a chance to start figuring out how this whole crazy Dreamshifter thing works. Places that were hinted at in Between are featured prominently in Wakeworld and wow, I don’t think those images are ever going to leave my head.
- There is a new character in Wakeworld who I at first wasn’t happy with but came to adore. Weston is a pretty darn broken man, but you know me and my love of broken characters ;-).
- The ending was pretty darn epic and pulled at my heartstrings majorly. Gah, I need book three now please!!
- You may or may not be aware that I love dragons >.>. Vivian is still pretty judgmental of dragons despite her shifting abilities and it started to grate on my nerves. She of all people should understand that dragons aren’t all the same D: The ending makes me really hopeful that this will turn around though ;-).
- There were times while reading Wakeworld that I had no idea how a scene or object looked due to lack of description. I understand wanting to keep a book fast-paced, but I also want to be able to imagine all these cool fantasy worlds we’re visiting!
- There is a lot of romance angst in Wakeworld. I understand where Vivian and Zee are coming from given the situation, but I also wanted to knock their heads together at times. While there isn’t a heavy swoon-romance element, there is a fair amount of angst in Wakeworld.
Wakeworld is a sequel that continues to build this series and makes me really excited to find out where things will go. I enjoyed it even more than Between and highly advise you to continue with the series. I’m really liking this combination of urban fantasy and high fantasy elements that Wakeworld continues to intertwine and think this is a great series for fans of both genres. Also, props Ace for an urban fantasy cover with the heroine in a strong and realistic pose! Let’s continue this trend ;-).
I’m very excited to get to giveaway a copy of Wakeworld courtesy of Ace! This giveaway will be US only and no PO boxes as per Ace’s requirements. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email, so be sure that Rafflecopter has the right email address!
Have you read this one? What did you think? Are you excited for it if you haven’t gotten to it yet?
Wakeworld by Kerry Schafer
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.