Woot, first of all, Happy New Year all :D. What better way to start off the new year than starting an awesome book?? I’m a huge Sanderson fan and so have been meaning to read The Way of Kings since it came out. I was just so intimidated by that 1000+ page length D: Therefore when Nrlymrtl invited me to co-host a read-along I was thrilled! Nrlymrtl of Dab of Darkness is starting us off this week. As per usual, there will be spoilers in all of these posts if you haven’t read up to the section for the week. This week, we read through chapter 6!
1) Is this your first Brandon Sanderson experience? Any expectations going into this read along?
Nope, I’ve read nearly everything else he has written :D. Therefore, my expectations are pretty high ;-). He is my favorite author, I love his magic systems, characters, and plot twists, so I’m expecting all of those. I’m really excited since this is the first major adult high fantasy trilogy he has written that he will hopefully be completing soon since Mistborn, so I’m hoping for a similar experience to Mistborn ;-).
2) In the Prelude to the Stormlight Archive, we see that Talenel (Taln) died and his sword is unaccounted for. Jerzien and company have decided it is best for 1 to suffer instead of 10. What do you make of this scene?
There is so much awesome in this scene. So it sounds like these guys are ten immortals that regularly fight some horrible demons, die on occasion, and have to report back to a hellish other realm between battles, which they signed up for, but now have decided they are tired of it. Additionally, it sounds like as long as one of them sticks around, the demons will be held off? Some of that wasn’t entirely clear, so I’m hoping we get to find out more about what all was going on and where the immortals have since gone!
3) What did you think of Szeth’s fighting abilities and the fight scenes? Any thoughts on the crystalline sphere and King Gavilar Kholin’s last words?
Love this new magic system! It’s so cool to think about all the new fighting styles that would be possible by changing the pull of gravity :D. I’m so curious to find out who else has these powers and what Szeth has been up to since that prologue. I’m sensing an epic quest in the works!
4) Each chapter proper starts with a few words from a dying person, their station, and status in life. Any thoughts on what these portend?
I’m thinking that the final words of a dying person are considered sacred in some way. Some of the words are typical but some sound quite ominous. I’m guessing that some group of religious people collects and saves these words just in case it turns out that they were telling the future or something.
5) Kaladin went from warrior to slave in a matter of the first 2 chapters. Care to speculate on the details of how his life changed so drastically?
So it sounds like his attempt at killing that guy in the battle didn’t go well and he ended up captured and enslaved. I’m unclear on which guy he was trying to clear and why he hated him so much, but I guess it makes sense in battles for some people to be captured.
6) Sylphrena (Syl) the Windspren seems attached to Kaladin. Are you enjoying her character? Do you like the Spren in general in the world-building so far?
Omg I love Syl :D. It’s so fascinating that she seems to be much more intelligent than the normal spren to the point that even she is a bit confused about what is going on with her. I’m also really interested in all the spren. It sounds like they are creatures made of magic that are made/pulled into our realm under certain circumstances. The only thing I’m not liking is the description of each of them when they show up, does it feel repetitive to anyone else?
7) Shallan Davar has finally caught up to Brightness Jasnah Kholin and her soulcaster. Jasnah and the jeweled fabril can change stone to smoke; what else do you think it can do?
Shallan seemed to think that Jasnah could turn any material into anything else right? I’m assuming this is only inanimate material, but if not that could get spooky! I’m hoping that Shallan succeeds in convincing Jasnah, though I was mostly just pro-learning before, but thieving is fun too ;-).
I’m so in love with the maps and illustrations :D. I hope we get to see more of Shallan’s sketches since that was just so much fun.
Feel free to leave links to your thoughts in the comments and be sure to go to Dab of Darkness to link up so we can find everyone ;-).
© 2014 – 2013, Anya. All rights reserved.