Way of Kings Read-Along Week 2!
Heya folks, it’s week two for the Way of Kings read-along! This week totally tricked me since I thought I was making great progress on the chapters and then there were these interludes between parts 1 and 2 >.>. I made it though :D. As usual, there are major spoilers if you haven’t read up to chapter 13 in Way of Kings, so you’ve been warned! This week is hosted by Lisa at Over the Effing Rainbow so stop over there to link up your answers :D.
1. Shallan’s determination pays off, but Jasnah Kholin seems to change her mind a bit suddenly, and when Shallan isn’t expecting her to. She mentions knowing of Shallan’s family…. Do you think perhaps she knows more than she admits? Or is she really just a bit more soft-hearted than she lets on?
I’m of two minds on this whole thing. Part of me thinks that Jasnah was interested in taking on Shallan the whole time but wanted to make sure she was dedicated, so it was really just a test. It seems likely that Jasnah wants that kind of determination and skills of persuasion in her pupils. That being said, perhaps she knows that Shallan’s father is dead and the family in a tricky situation and she is planning to use that somehow. I don’t think that Jasnah knows about Shallan’s plot since it seems unlikely Jasnah would then let her anywhere near her soulcaster.
2. Yalb comes to the bargaining rescue as Shallan tries to buy books…. Do you think there’s going to be a bigger part in events for him to play?
Yalb is winning my heart! I’m pretty sure he will show up again later, but it will be somewhere we don’t suspect. Perhaps he’ll show up in someone else’s plot line, or he isn’t really a sailor and is instead some nefarious conman or hero. Who knows!? I’m excited to find out though :D.
3. Part One ends with a ray of hope for Kaladin, as he rediscovers a sense of purpose…. What did you think of the scene in the Honour Chasm, and then with Gaz afterward?
It was interesting to find out that Syl has memories of watching Kaladin back in his soldier days and I was touched that she went off to find a leaf for him since she thought that was somehow linked to his behavior. I was pretty sure Kaladin wasn’t going to jump, since that would kind of be a silly end to his plot line, I just wasn’t sure what was going to change his mind. I’m glad that he’s got his gumption back though, and Gaz totally deserved that attack. I’m really excited to see what he has planned to protect his men and make some changes in his life.
4. We catch up with Szeth for an interlude, and things are very different for him…. What do you make of his choice to enslave himself – if it is in fact a choice?
I’m pretty sure it’s not a choice right? He was enslaved when we first met him, but then those masters threw away his stone. I don’t think he had a choice about not giving his stone to the next person who asked, it seems like he is somehow bound to being enslaved as punishment. It must have been a weird encounter to be told by some random guy that you could take him as your slave if you take the stone in his hand, haha. Anyway, I’m hoping that we continue to find out more about why Szeth is enslaved with this stone, what he did to end up in that situation, and where his powers came from.
5. We also meet Dalinar Kholin, Jasnah’s father, and get something of a hint that he’s important where the Radiants are concerned…. What do you think Dalinar’s ‘fits’ might mean?
I’m so intrigued by these visions/flashbacks/dreams whatever that Dalinar is having :D. It sounds like he might be a Radiant reincarnate? Or somehow tied to those ten that we met in the beginning? It definitely sounds like good advice though, haha, since crazy bad things always have to happen in epic fantasy books eventually, so uniting the highprinces for real would be good. Also, that giant chull sounds terrifying D:
I cannot emphasize enough how much I want there to be a Way of Kings videogame. I want to collect all the pretty sphere currency and sprens >.>. Shiny things! Also, I must admit that I’m getting a teensy bit confused with all the character names and plot lines, wow there are a lot!
What did you think of this week’s reading? Are you reading along or reminiscing with us? Link me up your answers and let me know your thoughts :D.
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.