Way of Kings Read Along Week 6!
Yey, it’s Wednesday which means it is time for us to discuss the sixth week of the Way of Kings :D. Just in case you hadn’t noticed, we’re having a huge giveaway (with international component!) and you get extra entries for being a read along participant! This week’s discussion is hosted by Nikki of There Were Books Involved so pop over there to link up your post! This week discusses up through chapter 42, so beware of spoilers if you haven’t gotten that far.
1. Both Kabsal and Jasnah have spoken to Shallan about stealing the Soulcaster, and both have done so in a pretty lighthearted manner, considering how serious it would actually be to steal it. Do you think Kabsal was telling the truth when he brushed off Shallan’s questions about his plan to steal the Soulcaster? Is he still interested in stealing it? Does he have other, deeper motives??
This was all a very interesting set of coincidences. It sounds like Soulcasters are supposed to only be used by ardents, so I guess it makes sense that they would want to get Jasnah’s away from a heretic. However, it seems a little against their moral code to resort to stealing it, so I’m curious how much of that was Kabsal being a weird ardent and how much was an actual plan/wish of his superiors. Given that Jasnah made a joke about it as well, I suspect that it is something that at least some ardents would/have tried.
2. By the end of the section, Shallan has found out that she’ll be able to return home in one week, but she’s torn between wanting to continue her studies, and being able to take the stolen Soulcaster home. So far it looks like her theft hasn’t been detected, but do you think she’ll be found out before that time? Do you think she should leave, or might decide on her own to stay? Could something else happen to make her stay?
At this point it seems wise for her to leave to get the Soulcaster home and she can always continue studying later in her life (probably not with Jasnah’s assistance obviously, but still). Given how much she’s gone through to get to this point, she would have to have a darn good reason to throw it all away and stay (and a boy is not a good enough reason!). I get the feeling that something will come up, however, since Jasnah is such a major character.
3. How much do you think Jasnah actually knows about the theft of her Soulcaster? Is it even remotely possible that Jasnah is still in the dark about it? If she knows, did she in fact dupe Shallan with a fake, as Shallan theorizes? Or did Jasnah let her steal it? Why??
Jasnah definitely seems too smart to not have noticed the switch. Also, weren’t her stones broken/drained whereas the ones on Shallan’s were new? It would be pretty clever of Jasnah to have switched hers for a fake, though I’m not really sure why or how she would have done that. It seems more likely that Jasnah did let Shallan steal it either because she knows Shallan won’t be able to use it or she wants to see what Shallan will do now. I could totally see this as being a philosophical test of moral judgement or something, haha.
4. During the Highstorm, Kaladin experiences a lull during which the wind and rain stop, he feels no more pain, and he sees an enormous “face of blackness, yet faintly traced in the dark”. The face is described as, “Inhuman. Smiling.” Was Kaladin just hallucinating? If not, do you think this being had something to do with recharging the sphere? With Kaladin somehow feeling better before the storm kicked up again? Or could this being be malevolent? Thoughts/theories??
I totally think that was the storm deity that everyone has been talking about :D. They put him out there to be judged and he was judged right? Or: A GIANT SPREN, haha. It seems likely that this being is also connected to the power that Kaladin and the spheres gain from the highstorms, since they’re both all magical and such. Definitely not malevolent in my opinion, but who knows?!
5. Before Kaladin is forced to endure the Highstorm, he tells his men to come out after the storm is over; he says he’ll open his eyes and look back at them, and they’ll know that he survived. Kaladin obviously survives, and everyone in Bridge Four is really glad about that. But we haven’t yet seen a reaction from anyone other than Kal’s men. Do you think Kaladin’s survival could have a wider impact than just giving his own group of bridgemen hope?
I can imagine the lighteyes are all pretty annoyed and worried about how Sadaes is going to react to the situation. On the other hand, this whole affair has probably pushed up Kaladin’s legendary status among the other bridge crews as well, if there are enough older bridgemen left to even know who he is D: . It seems possible that other bridgemen would be willing to listen to him now if he tried to motivate them or something, but he is too dejected to use that benefit at the moment.
6. We learn quite a bit about Teft in this section… kind of. But pretty much everything we learn just leads to more questions. What do you think about these “Envisagers” Teft mentions? How much do you think Teft knows about Kaladin’s ability to use Stormlight? It seemed like Teft became wary of Kaladin after he recovered – why? Do you think he’ll tell Kaladin about what he knows?
More questions!!!! I think that Teft knows about the old magic power of pulling energy from stormlight, like a certain other character that I adore does. Teft seems to come from a culture that has kept track of this power better, or he is much older than we thought. It seems that Teft is a bit conflicted about what to do now since Kaladin’s power relates to things from his past that I suspect he isn’t proud of. I can imagine him being worried that Kaladin will be mad about his secret getting out, though I hope that he finds the courage to tell Kaladin about the power soon since Kaladin doesn’t know about it, haha.
This whole section made me really want jam! And I nearly started a loaf of homemade bread but I wanted to keep reading instead >.>.
Also, the twist with Kaladin’s dad was kind of crazy; I really liked the questions that it brought up about who they both really are deep down and the foil of Shallan researching moral philosophy in the other section!
© 2014, Anya. All rights reserved.