Time for another edition of the Way of Kings Read-along! This week is hosted by Lianne of CaffeinatedLife.net yey! We read up to chapter 57 this week and only have 200 pages left *gasps*. This read-along has been so much fun everyone, so thank you so much for joining in :D. As usual, here there be spoilers if you haven’t read this far!
1. What do you think of Dalinar’s latest vision concerning the Radiants? Can you make sense of them? Do you think Jasnah will prove or disprove Dalinar’s visions? And what did you think of Dalinar and Navani’s almost moment? ;)
I’m becoming more convinced that Dalinar is seeing actual historical events and even if they don’t match up with the history books, that’s likely because they took place so long ago and things have become a bit convoluted since then. Haha, Navani amuses me. I’m not actually sure that she was trying to seduce Dalinar, or only switched to that once she realized that she was making him uncomfortable. I could totally see her having just wanted to discuss something and then wanting to mess with his head ;-).
2. Dalinar proposes a military alliance with Sadeas. Given what we’ve read of their relationship and of Sadeas’ character, did Dalinar make the right move? How long do you think this alliance will last? Has Dalinar finally gotten Sadeas on his side by using Sadeas’ interests (gemhearts, the Shardblade, etc.) as incentive or does Dalinar have something else up his sleeve?
I’m really happy that Dalinar’s vision about Sadeas seems to be coming true. I also really liked that truth-bomb that Sadeas dropped on Dalinar about how superior Dalinar acts towards the other highprinces. I get that the code is important to Dalinar, but I can definitely see how he could have been pissing people off by treating them badly without even really realizing it. That was a nice moment to see Dalinar from another perspective! That being said, I hope that Sadeas and Dalinar are solid now, especially considering Dalinar saved Sadeas’ life and all that, haha.
3. This is the first time we’ve read in detail what it’s like to be a Shardbearer fighting with Shardblades in battle through Dalinar. What did you think of it?
I sort of pictured Dalinar’s fighting like in a video game where you only have to touch the opponent and you score damage ya know? That’s probably silly, but don’t mind me ;-). Despite the horrendous amounts of destruction, it does sound very convenient to be able to just whip through a bunch of enemies all in a line. Now just imagine Kaladin’s speed being combined with a Shardblade and no one would be able to touch him!
4. We get a big reveal about what’s happening with Kaladin this week regarding the Stormlight as well as a revelation regarding Syl’s nature. What did you think of it? Given what we know now, what else do you think he is capable of?
Whoa whoa whoa! It’s becoming pretty clear that Kaladin has similar powers to Szeth, which intrigues me since I think they are from completely different parts of the world, right? Oh Syl, so cool and so scary at the same time! It broke my heart when they fought and then when she offered to reverse the process Kaladin was going through even though it would remove her human qualities. I’m really curious as to what exactly Syl is now (since she said she isn’t a bindspren or windspren, right?) and how she got set to working with Kaladin!
5. Kaladin initially blames his curse as the reason why people around him keep dying. Is there some truth to his claims, that this binding ability has some correlation with the casualty count around him, or is Kaladin simply grieving over recent losses? If the former, do you think this might have any connection to what the Radiants are and whatever happened to them?
Kaladin is obviously lucky, so I think that he isn’t so much cursed as he is the only one left standing because everyone in that situation should have died and his binding ability kept him alive ya know? The whole fact that he is left to look around and mourn is just because he was able to survive impossible situations.
6. Wit/Hoid is turning out to be more than just the life of the party and a thorn on the sides of the other highprinces. As we’ve seen, he’s not very playful with Dalinar and is quite sober, even ominous, with Kaladin. What did you think of his conversations with Dalinar and with Kaladin? What do you think he’s up to? How does he factor in with everything else that’s going on at the moment (or what’s to come)?
OMG I LOVE WIT!!! Seeing Wit develop as a more significant character was so much fun. I’m now ridiculously curious as to how old he is and what he is since he definitely hinted at being mystical/really old. That story that he told was heart-breaking and awesome and I loved these quotes from him afterward:
“What you saw belongs to you. A story doesn’t live until it is imagined in someone’s mind.”
“The purpose of a story-teller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon. Too often, we forget that.”
Wit is possibly my new favorite character >.> <.< Though it’s really hard, I don’t think I’ve ever had so many favorite characters in one book! Who is your favorite these days?
© 2014 – 2015, Anya. All rights reserved.